Re: [ST] New ST??

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, STeve Duncan wrote:

> So, the question is, what the hell is wrong with the Sprint-ST, just the way
> it is?  Or, just the way MINE is?  Race-Tech took care of the front end
> quite nicely.  Hagon, Ohlins, Penske, et al, do a real nice job on the rear
> shock.

I don't think anyone said there was anything wrong with it, just that
periodic upgrades are expected.

You did do some add-ons, so that is something that could be improved from
the factory. It would be revolutionary for a factory to privide a decent
workable suspension (I guess Ducati does put Ohlins on their bikes). Even
more revolutionary would be to sell it to you sprung for your weight.

> I think that the original motor is very sufficient and the '02 + is
> even better.  This bike rocks.  And looks most good doing it.  Y'all can do
> what ya want.  For me, embarrassing R1's and Gixxer's and what have you, is
> good enough for me.

The R1's and Gixxer's loose weight and gain HP with every model change
(not necessarily every year). Loosing weight and gaining HP is a standard
improvement for any motorcycle, so the ST could use it too.

Styling changes can be good - for example many motorcycles are coming
with underseat exhausts from the factory now and with the single-sided
swingarm the ST could use that improvement. Again - there's nothing wrong
with it the way it is.

What were the changes in 2002? The triumphnet.com webpage FAQ only lists
changes in 2001 as adding BRG. Speaking of which, the triumphnet.com web
page seems a little crusty. I checked in on it periodically before, and it
seems like it hasn't changed in a while.

Paul