Re: [ST] New ST??

<<
> So, the question is, what the hell is wrong with the Sprint-ST, just the
way
> it is?  Or, just the way MINE is?  Race-Tech took care of the front end
> quite nicely.  Hagon, Ohlins, Penske, et al, do a real nice job on the
rear
> shock.

I gotta agree.  My bike does everything I've asked it too, and I'm still
flogging an OEM shock.  Race Teched front, but that's it.  No manufacturer
makes a perfect motorcycle straight out of the box.  I don't care what Honda
would want you to believe.  OEM motorcycles are a good starting point,
customers are to farkle, re-configure, accessorize, and adjust to fit their
needs.  People who mostly slab tour, and/or commute on the Sprint probably
like that the suspension is fairly basic, and not to fiddly.

<<
The R1's and Gixxer's loose weight and gain HP with every model change
(not necessarily every year). Loosing weight and gaining HP is a standard
improvement for any motorcycle, so the ST could use it too.

Why must the ST do this as well?  The ST1300 gained HP AND weight but it
still is considered a better bike than it's predecessor.  Your comparison to
the R1's and Gixxer's is flawed because they are focused on outright
performance.  I just don't need the bike to weight that much less if it
means sacrificing workmanship, reliability, and durability.  Not to mention
GVWR.  This is a sport tourer we're talking about.  A compromise bike.  And
I feel it's pretty well balanced, for it's target audience, as it is.  Does
that mean I don't want it to change at all?  Yes, and no.  I'll admit I
would love to see a redesign just to shut up the damn magazine hacks who
can't seem to find anything more to bitch about than it hasn't
changed*boohooo*.  If that's it's biggest sin, than I think that's great.
But I don't want to see shaft drive, ABS, radical styling and underseat
exhausts.  These are not high on my list of "needs" in a bike.  That's just
me.

<<
What were the changes in 2002?

The new T5 motor was used.  Redesigned head, better windage in the lower
end, the alternator was moved from the chain driven accessory location to
the end of the crank, redesigned shifter mechanisms, and alittle higher
compression.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen