From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Manuel Gonzalez
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 10:36 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] RE: st-digest V2004 #369

Dirty Dog wrote:

- ----Original Message Follows----
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:12:27 -0500
From: "Steven Kohlscheen" <TrumpST@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ST] New ST??

But I don't want to see shaft drive, ABS, radical styling and underseat
exhausts.  These are not high on my list of "needs" in a bike.  That's just
me.
________________________

I agree to some extent.  I don't necessarily NEED shaft drive, ABS, new
styling, or underseat exhausts, but if it makes the bike better, why the
heck not!

I have never met anyone who "buys bland."  Even when I thought the bike my
friend wanted was fugly as sin, he thought it looked awesome.  So either you
care about how the bike looks, or you do not.  If you don't, what's the harm
in updating the styling so people who do care might be drawn to the brand?
Likewise for the other updates.  If you don't care if it has an underseat
exhaust and it makes no difference to you, then why not encourage Triumph to
design a good one, which works with all the ST accessories and doesn't
require me to manually reposition my exhaust can to fit bags on the bike or
force me to remove it to get to the otherwise very convenient SSSA mounted
rear wheel?  Has anyone every heard of a person with an underseat exhaust
converting it to a side mounted can?  If you want to run track days with the
bike, the underseat is nice, heck, you won't damage it if you lay the bike
down.  If touring is your thing, sure makes tire changes a snap.  I really
don't see how you can go wrong, but reasonable minds could differ.

As for ABS, if that had been on my ST, I would still have a ST.  Yeah that's
right, my 2001 BRG beauty was killed 37 miles north of Creede Colorado while
on a ten day vacation.  The injury wasn't immediately fatal, but it was a
mortal wound.  It's a very long story involving rough terrain and local
wildlife, so I won't go into it here, but take my word for it, ABS could
have saved my bike.  (I would like to point out that Triumph gets my highest
praise for building into the ST the mechanical strength to keep running and
get my butt back home.  With a  little duct tape and an Allen wrench, I was
able to ride another 2200 miles after the accident.)   For those of you that
are thinking, I wonder if he has any ST parts for sale?  Yes I do, and when
I get a full accounting I will let you guys have first crack at them.

Back to the subject at hand.  Steve mentioned that the ST is a compromise
bike.  I agree.  However, you can build a compromise bike without
compromising.  That's the kind of bike that will get me to spend my very
hard-earned insurance payoff.

Manuel Gonzalez
Plano, Texas
2001 BRG ST (R.I.P.)