RE: [ST] The Chains vs Shafts Religious Wars

Good point. Allow me to clarify my point, as I didn't make it very clear. Right now, money is very tight for me. Coming up to a dauntingly expensive 24,000 mile service and having to change out a chain that is getting too old is a bummer for me right now. A shaft would not have worn out, therefore, there wouldn't have been any money to spend. I've been mostly satisfied with a 19 tooth sprocket, so I would be happy to sacrifice the changeability for some financial savings right about now. But, I think I'm the exception on this list as far as the performance refinements that I need from my bike.

Let me put it this way. Regearing is an option. Changing a chain when it wears out is not. I would rather they make the option more expensive (say a changeable gear ratio cartridge on a shaft) and dispense with forcing me to pay for a new chain every 15-30k miles. But this is only a concern, because of my current financial situation. A year ago, I wouldn't have thought twice.

BMW cars have a final drive gear ratio that can be easily changed around by popping in a different differential. It can cost under $200 to do this. You'd think that any motorcycle manufacturer could come up with a similar system on a shaft drive (I dunno, maybe some do) and satify the versitility requirements for a bike as versatile as the Sprint.

Still, I'm very satisfied with the Sprint. Triumph would really have to fúçk it up for me to not consider getting another one in a couple of years (regardless of shaft/chain final drive choice).

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA