[ST] Cooling and Fan

Hi all,

I thought I'd give us a break from sprocket and the chain vs. shaft threads.
;-) I've got a couple of questions. One has to do with the radiator fan. After
any prolonged low speed cruise through town, my bike heats up to about 1/3 on
the temp gauge and the fan comes on. After I turn the bike off (with the key)
the fan will start up and run for a while. Why does it do this? The water
pump isn't moving coolant through the engine so I can't think of any plausible
reason. Inquiring minds....

Secondly, I recently did a coolant flush on the bike. I bought a service
manual and religiously followed the instructions...remove drain plug, loosen
radiator cap, blah, blah, blah... once most of the coolant had drained out I tipped
the bike over to get the last bit out. Then I got the thing back together and
refilled, but it only took about 2 quarts vs. ~3 quarts stated in the manual
after bleeding out the air. After sitting there one day for a while and
studying the layout of the engine I got to thinking...why couldn't you just remove
one of the hoses at the bottom of the engine (like to the water pump) and drain
from there? It seems like it's a heck of a lot lower point than that drain
plug up on the side...???

I'm really enjoying all the ride reports. They are getting me psyched for my
first trip up the Oregon/Washington Coast to Sequim with my husband and son.
Keep up the good work travelers!

Thanks!

Jill Lee-Jones
'01 Sprint ST (red)