RE: [ST] Ride to Work, my opinion

<<
The whole point of the "Ride to Work" day is not to seperate the men from
the boys, it is to unite ALL riders, just for one day, and show the REST of
the driving public just how many we really are.  Kind of like a march on
Washington, without the travel time.

I think this is my main issue with the event.  If all bikers ride to work on
this day, awareness will probably be raised somewhat for that day.  However,
like so many things in our work-a-day lives, out of sight out of mind, next
week the cagers will forget that it happened.  Heck, before I started
riding, I never even realized there was such an event.

It takes frequent reminders to reinforce public awareness of riding as a
legitimate means of transportation, and to get the buggers to pay attention.
The only way for that to happen is if riders ride, as often as is reasonable
for each individual's situation.  There are cagers out there that I run
across just about every day, and I know that they recognize me, we let each
other in and out of traffic, they keep their distance behind me, etc.  If I
wasn't out there so much, I'm sure it would be like meeting a new batch of
ignorant drivers every time I rode.

I certainly don't advocate riding at all costs; you're right that there are
times when it's appropriate, and there are times when it isn't.  I'm
fortunate enough to live in a state that is warm enough to ride most of the
year, and to work at a job that allows me to commute on the bike almost
every day.

For me, it certainly isn't an "I'm better than you" thing; it's an "I'm
exceptionally fortunate" thing that I take advantage of as much as possible.

Just my 2 bits, now get out there and ride!
  - Dave