[ST] fixing problems

Yesterday a friend let me use his garage so I was able to fix some of
the problems my Trumpet had. It turned into a long day.

I needed to replace an oil seal where the clutch arm goes into the right
side engine case.
http://www.rgalea.com/pics/01.jpg
The exhaust header also needed to be removed and the rear bracket welded
back on. I only planed to get the oil seal done.

The first thing I did was remove the fairing. As I was about to remove
the bolts for the left hand bottom fairing I noticed that it had oil on
it. Once I removed it I discovered that one of the bolts that holds the
engine cases together had vibrated lose. If it was not for the radiator
hose below it it would have vibrated all the way out and dumped all the
oil!
http://www.rgalea.com/pics/02.jpg

I had to drain the coolant to re-torque this bolt. At this point the
only extra work I had to do to remove the header was remove the radiator
and the 6 nuts holding it on. It was too tempting not to go for it.

The header came of easily and I took it somewhere local to have it
welded.
http://www.rgalea.com/pics/03.jpg
I believe I now know why the header broke. When I tried to put the
exhaust can back on I could not. The bolt that goes through the bracket
on the can was about 1/4 inch too far forward. You could force it on but
that would put a lot of pressure on the header. I elongated the hole on
the can and hopefully that relieved some of the pressure. I would have
liked to have removed some of the end of the header.

I must admit that I am disappointed with all these problems I have been
having. For the most part they all point to quality control issues.

Rupert
99 ST