[ST] Stumbling Sprint - ideas?

My '99 Sprint ST went to the shop for the 12k service and
also to correct a problem where the bike would stumble
pulling away from a stop.  Went to pick it up & they couldn't
replicate the stumbling problem, but on the ride home, it
did it from about 1/2 the stops. I took it back, the head
tech took it out and had it happen to him. No trouble codes
were stored in the engine 'puter.  They replaced the timing
pickup, but that wasn't it.  They've now had it a 4 weeks
and still haven't figured it out (I wrenched my ankle - so
I really didn't miss much saddle time), so I'm tempted to
just get it back and trying to fix it myself/find another
mechanic.

Symptoms:  Got the Sprint last Oct. w/9k miles, and it ran
flawlessly for almost 3k [s]miles until late June when the
stumbling started. Initially it was just once a ride and
has gotten worse. It stumbles pulling away from a stop, and
sometimes dies completely. Usually restarts right away,
sometimes requires a bit of cranking, on rare occasions
takes a lot of cranking to restart.  If you rev it to around
3k w/ the clutch pulled in, the engine speeed seems to waver
a bit.  Mechanic said they looked for vacuum leaks and
didn't find any.  Last I talked to them they were thinking
that maybe the fuel pump might be cutting out.

Anyone have ideas on where to look?  Thanks,

Rob