[ST] Re: TriumphSTDigest Re: st-digest V2004 #293

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <redbull72@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 5:41 AM
Subject: TriumphSTDigest Re: st-digest V2004 #293

> It's not just operator error, I have had more false neutrals on the
> Sprint than any other bike I've owned. I have been told by a long term
> owner that the oil quality has something to do with it. His bike has
> over 30k and he also uses (burns, losses) oil, has had the exhaust
> (near the head) crack, lots of neat stuff. I guess it's what you get
> with the breed. Kind of like the British Harley. Some will hate this
> next bit but I have a client who is British, and when we first began
> talking outside of business we got on the subject of bikes. I thought
> he might like to know I rode a Triumph. His response was that they were
> pretty but unreliable. I just smiled and couldn't argue. I like the
> bikes ergos and handling (once rekitted with the good stuff) but have
> many disappoints. I just expect more from a modern bike. Sport TOURers
> should have reliability as a key component. If I wanted to just pose I
> would have bought a Harley and parked it. I was sold on the initial
> ride, should have done more research. Sorry folks but I am not losing
> interest in the brand. Spoiled by more reliable machines.
>
> Mark
> 99 ST

Let's see, your own, a "1st year '99' model Sprint" and haven't figured out
what oil to use (5-50 Castrol Syntec R4T4) and sloppy shifting technique
(pressure on shifter, then momentarily slack throttle; clutch or no).

Last year, Cycle World did a piece on the 50 best used bikes and the Sprint
beat out the regulator failure prone VFR as stone reliable Sport Tourer. I
agree, with an 01 that's been flogged weekly at triple digits and a couple
of track days, pushing 45K on the clock now.
I recently had the valves and compression check and she's was spot on. I
also know many folks, plus local dealer who services the Sprints as one of
the most popular/reliable euro bikes sold in Arizona. I currently use maybe
3 ounces (level drops from top to mid window) of oil between my current 4K
oil changes.

I suggest you not base (plus spread clueless FUD) reliability information on
your own limited 1st year model experiences, plus he said/she said. I'll
also bet the newer 02+ engine is even MORE reliable.

Finally, no the Sprint or Daytona's don't shift as nicely as my 03 GSXR1000
but once you get the knack down, missed shifts and false neutral can be
avoided. They don't like hesitation between gears. And only 30K on a 5 year
old bike means the thing has been sitting around the garage too much.
Probably not ridden hard enough either -:)

Bob Nixon 01 Sprint ST 45K "Red"
03 GSXR 1000 K3 "Silver"
Chandler, Az http://extexltd.com/bigrex/