Re: [ST] New Guy - Helibars?

On Jun 2, 2004, at 7:30 AM, Bill.O'Hara@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> So far I love it but my daily 76 miles of
> commute is making me think about Heli bars.  Since a good portion of my
> commute is slow speed, the weight on my wrists is taking its toll.

Bill, glad to hear you're enjoying your ST!  The topic of higher bars
comes up fairly frequently amongst new owners, and a frequent
recommendation is for the new owner to give his body a couple of months
to get used to the new position.  Many new owners who have taken this
advice have reported good results; it just takes some time to adjust to
a new position and to build up your abs/lower back muscles so that
you're supporting your torso with your middle instead of leaning on
your wrists.  (This also improves your ability to control the bike.)
Of course, this advice doesn't work for everyone, but it may be worth
giving your body a chance before splashing out the cash for new bars.
HTH...
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Mateo, CA (USA)