Re: 5W/40 oil (was [ST] Re: TriumphSTDigest Re: st-digest V2004 #293)

At 23:31 02/06/2004, Erik Miner wrote:
>That maybe it. I know I used 15-50 in my ST and in about 20K miles had no
>motor problems of any kind ( in fact the valves never even needed
>adjusting!  And the only problems I had were the fuel senders, and a leak
>around the fuel fittings on the tank, all warrenty items.

The strange thing is that my local Triumph dealer in Edinburgh uses Castrol
R4 (UK name) in all servicing of the fuel injected Triumphs - and it is
5W/40. I used R4 once in my old Sprint Executive and the oil consumption
became noticeable. I then changed to semi-synthetic Castrol GPS on that
bike and oil consumption fell to barely noticeable.

If my bike gets R4 at it's 12k service (in about a month's time) I'll keep
you posted with consumption figures. Up until now it's only ever had Mobil
1 MX-4T for motorcycles (as it is called in the UK).
I can't use my original Triumph dealer, who were excellent, as that
particular shop in that small group has closed, and it looks like they have
lost the franchise.

Regards,

Stephen (Spud) McS.
'02 BRG ST - Scotland

PS Off topic, and not even Triumph related, but did you hear about Michael
Rutter at the NW200 road races?
201.1 mph - on public roads!! Awesome. On a subsequent time through the
trap, he was waving to the speed trap operators - at 198 mph.
:D

- - Spud.