RE: [ST] Oil

Last year I had my oil changed while I was having the front tire
replaced. Castrol R4 was put in as that is all he had. I witnessed no
ill effect from this. It is possible it used more oil but as I have just
recently done an oil change it is too early to tell.

This time I was tempted to go with the regular red cap Mobil 1 but ended
up getting Mobil MX4T.

This is what the owners manual says,
'Semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 motorcycle engine oil that meets API SH
specification.'
(It does not mention JASO. I have a 99 so perhaps it is different for
the newer engine.)

MX4T is rated API SG, SH/CF, JASO MA

Mobil 1 red cap (15W/50) is the only regular Mobil 1 that does not have
friction modifiers. It is rated API SL/CF

When I was looking at this in the store I did not know how API ratings
work so I played it safe and got the MX4T.

This is what my Haynes manual has to say about the matter,
'The API rating will be in the form of two letters, e.g. SG. The S
identifies the oil as being suitable for use in a petrol (gasoline)
engine (S stands for spark ignition) and the second letter ranging from
A to J, identifies the oils performance rating. The later this letter,
the higher the specification of the oil; for example API SG oil exceeds
the requirements of API SF oil.'

So why does the MX4T say API SG, SH when SH exceeds the requirements of
SG? Couldn't it just say API SH?

Other than the fact that my owners manual specifies 10W40 I can see no
reason that I cannot use red cap Mobil 1.
Rupert