Re: [ST] 15-50 Mobil one available

On Jun 4, 2004, at 7:06 AM, Erik Miner wrote:
> Sport Rider Magazine did a very through oil article last year and they
> did include Mobile 1 MX4 10-40 MC oil and the 15-50 auto oil.

In case anyone else is interested, the oil test appeared in two parts.
Part one was published in the August 2003 issue, and part two was in
the October 2003 issue of Sport Rider magazine.

Motorcycle Consumer News (the American one, not the British one) also
did an oil investigation, with the results appearing in the January and
February 2003 issues.  MCN only did spectrographic analysis, though;
Sport Rider included the results from some wear tests as well.

> The two oils were VERY,very similar in their additive packages and all
> of the other parameters that they analized.

Well... :-)  According to both magazines' tests, MX4T has no moly in
it, while the 15W-50 has about 100 PPM.  (Moly is what some folks fear
will cause clutch slippage.)  Also, MX4T uses a lot more magnesium than
the 15W-50 does as part of its acid neutralizing package.  Both oils
post different total base number (TBN) values, indicating that they use
different base stock (the stuff that makes up 80% of the volume of what
we call "oil").

> Is the Mobile 1 15-50  good stuff for bikes absouleutly! I used it in
> my ST with no problems and I'll bet that millions of miles have been
> put on by other riders with no problems, and yes it is THE best value
> in a full synth oil going.

I agree, and I use it in my bike, too.  While MX4T may be the ideal
formulation (from Mobil's perspective) for motorcycles, I don't believe
it is different enough to justify the added cost.
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Mateo, CA (USA)