[ST] Schwarzwald part 1 (long)

I tried to post this message before, but somehow it doesn't appear in the digest.
~~~~
I did plan to go to Schwarzwald in Germany some time ago. And guess what, I went last weekend. Here is a report of the trip. It?s a bit late but it took some time to recover and work needed extra attention.

I had been working overtime that week so I could leave home a day earlier than most others, hoping to avoid a lot of traffic. Weatherforecast predicted 20 to 25 degrees centigrade sun and some clouds and rain showers coming in on Monday.

I left home on Friday May 28 at 6am and joined with a couple, Diny and Dieter. I?ve met them some months ago and we planned to travel to the same destination at a convenient pace. The ride via Rotterdam, Breda, Tilburg, Eindhoven, Venlo, Kerpen, Koblenz, Karlsruhe, Freiburg and our destination Lörrach was rather uneventful.
The 800km we covered in 10 hours makes me respect Doug even more because he will be covering the same distance twice daily for 10 days. I immediately admit I?m a nobody in the LD community.

We stayed in Landgasthaus hotel Maien in Ober-Eichsel, which I can strongly recommend (shameless promotion). Not touristic, but peacefull and clean, value for money and good food are the key words. The host Reinhard will do a lot to please his guests. He will take you hiking the forest, make some really amazing arts ?n? crafts stuff, give a course in diving or para-sailing etc. We were there for riding, so we?ll ask him to entertain us some other time.

- ---Saturday May 29 - the first ride in the Schwarzwald.
>From Steinen in the direction of Kandern trough a valley to Schlächtenhaus, then turn right via Endenburg, Kirchhausen, Sallneck all through the forest and over the mountains to Tegernau. Very nice curves and panoramic views in the valley. In Tegernau I took the direction Schönau via Schwand and then in Schönau towards Präg in the direction Todtnau, in Geschwend in the direction Todtmoos and Sankt Blasien, from there to Albbruck in the valley of the river Alb. Turn sharp left by the Schanze towards Hechwihl, Birndorf, Bikingen, Dogern.  Then the 34 to Albbruck and turn right in de direction of Görwihl, Segeten and Todtmoos. Valleys and mountains alternate on this part of the trip. From there you can follow the river Wehra to the city Wehr. Steep mountains rising from both sides of the river, sometimes even hanging over the road. You have to be very carefully after a period of rainfall because the road can be covered with crushed rocks, otherwise it?s a nice road with a good surface. From there I decided to travel to the hotel to drink something. Total of only 178km in 4 hours time, but the trip will definitely make you feel good and time is relative.
Later I travelled from Steinen to Kandern in the direction of Schliengen, right turn in Liel, following a part of the Badische Weinstraβe to Feldberg (note: there are several towns and a mountain with that name). The Badische Weinstraβe makes the route divers, changing from forest and mountains to hills with wide views and farms growing wine. Rheintal, Lipburg, Badenweiler and from there in the direction of Tegernau. Steep hills and canyons followed. There is a nice dead end road to the Hochblauen Haus that you should try. At the end are a restaurant and a watchtower on top of the mountain, 1165 meters above sea level, and a priceless panoramic view.  I travelled back via Wies, Tegernau and Wieslet and arrived at the hotel at 7pm. In the evening Steffi, a local lady, showed us around and took us for a meal in a Straussi, a so-called farm restaurant. None of the food in a Straussi is coming from retail, all including wine and meat is from the farm and is being prepared on the day itself. If the farm can?t provide it, it?s being traded with the neighbouring farm. I really can?t tell you were we had dinner, because I was paying more attention to the lady. Food and company were extremely good. So, if you need to gain weight go to a Straussi?.