[ST] Intro

Hey, all.

I'm planning on replacing my Honda Civic with a Sprint ST this fall.

I've been riding an 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 on and off for 3 years, and
it's finally about given up the ghost.  I'm interested in advice on a
few things:

1) The transition of primary transit mode from car to motorcycle.
I'm concerned about the logistics of paying off the loan on my car,
coordinating that with the financing of the bike, strategies people use
for grocery shopping with a bike instead of a car, etc.

2) How to get rid of a non-running Nighthawk?  The salvage place in
Fremont doesn't want it, and nobody on Craigslist wanted it for $200.
Maybe someone will take it for free?  What can I do with a vehicle no
one wants?

And, the fun one:

3) The new Sprint!  I'm thinking I will want a full hard luggage set
(panniers and top), heated grips (it gets chilly around the Bay Area),
a larger fairing (I plan on using the bike for backpacking trips with my
partner).  What else do people find useful for comfort and convenience?
How old a bike should I get?  I'm thinking not older than 99/00, since
that seems to be where the tradeoff between price and low mileage
is optimal.

Are there other ST riders in the Bay Area?  Anyone interested in coffee
with a newbie?

Thrilled to have found the list.

Best,
bmc