RE: [ST] Intro

>Hey, all.

Hey. :)

>I'm planning on replacing my Honda Civic with a Sprint ST this fall.

Excellent choice.  The fully-bagged ST probably carries about as much as the
Civic, but with better gas mileage ;-)

>1) The transition of primary transit mode from car to motorcycle.
>I'm concerned about the logistics of paying off the loan on my car,
>coordinating that with the financing of the bike, strategies people use
>for grocery shopping with a bike instead of a car, etc.

Don't worry.  Many people have just their ST and no car, or like me have a
car but drive it about once a month or so.  It will be easier than you
think, and driving the car will feel really slow and sluggish after awhile.

The only downside to bike-only that I've found is what to do when people
come to visit, e.g. your 80 year old Dad comes in from Chicago, etc..  You
may find yourself having to rent or borrow a car a few times a year.  If
your partner has a car, this will be a non-issue.

When I was single I did all my grocery shopping on ST with just the side
bags. The top box also holds a lot.  For bulky items you may buy like an
espresso machine, just bungie net it to the cargo rack.  If the grocery
store is on your way home you might find it easier to stop in a few times a
week than one big weekend run.

>And, the fun one:
>
>3) The new Sprint!  I'm thinking I will want a full hard luggage set
>(panniers and top), heated grips (it gets chilly around the Bay Area),
>a larger fairing (I plan on using the bike for backpacking trips with my
>partner).  What else do people find useful for comfort and convenience?
>How old a bike should I get?  I'm thinking not older than 99/00, since
>that seems to be where the tradeoff between price and low mileage
>is optimal.

Others may disagree, but I'd strongly recommend having the top box in
addition to the side bags if you're going to use it as much as you say.
There are some things that will fit in the top but not a side bag, and it
gives you a lot of flexibility.  E.g. you store your rain gear in one
pannier, use the other for your briefcase/laptop, and can still put your
workout clothes in the top box.  You'll also find that a complete set of
roller blade kit (including pads) fits perfectly into the top box.  Yes,
it's expensive as snot, but I've definately gotten my money's worth out of
mine.

Heated grips are IMHO mandatory for year-round riding unless you opt for
electric gloves.  Personally I like the convenience of them being built in,
but if you get a 'lectric vest too it may be best just to have heated gear.

Someone else chimed in about an aftermarket seat, which seems a wise
investment as well.  I found having a rear-hugger to be a cheap investment
and helps keep the bike clean.

You may also consider getting a tank bag.  The pad does double-duty as a
tank protector and I've found it nice to lean against on long rides.

Paul