Re: [ST] Intro

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:59:28PM -0700, Brendan Coffey wrote:
> I've been riding an 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 on and off for 3 years, and
> it's finally about given up the ghost.  I'm interested in advice on a
> few things:

Hey, I went from an 83 650 Nighthawk to a Sprint ST.  Quite the contrast
in bikes!

> 1) The transition of primary transit mode from car to motorcycle.  I'm
> concerned about the logistics of paying off the loan on my car,
> coordinating that with the financing of the bike, strategies people
> use for grocery shopping with a bike instead of a car, etc.

2 words: top box.

> 2) How to get rid of a non-running Nighthawk?  The salvage place in
> Fremont doesn't want it, and nobody on Craigslist wanted it for $200.
> Maybe someone will take it for free?  What can I do with a vehicle no
> one wants?

Red Cross?  Community college with a moto repair class?  Part it out on
Ebay.

> 3) The new Sprint!  I'm thinking I will want a full hard luggage set
> (panniers and top), heated grips (it gets chilly around the Bay Area),
> a larger fairing (I plan on using the bike for backpacking trips with
> my partner).  What else do people find useful for comfort and
> convenience?

A bike computer or gps, maybe.

> How old a bike should I get?  I'm thinking not older than 99/00, since
> that seems to be where the tradeoff between price and low mileage is
> optimal.

99-01 should be a little less, since they don't have the newer motor.
But the resale on Triumphs is so crappy that you should be able to find
a deal no matter what.  Whatever they're asking, offer them at least $1k
less.  They've probably had the bike listed for over a month with no
calls.  BTDT.  Get one with the goodies already on it to save even more
money.

Laters,
Brian
- --