Re: [ST] Intro

On Jun 9, 2004, at 6:59 PM, Brendan Coffey wrote:
> 1) The transition of primary transit mode from car to motorcycle.
> I'm concerned about the logistics of paying off the loan on my car,
> coordinating that with the financing of the bike,

Keep the deals separate; it'll make your life easier, and bike dealers
aren't very adept at handling automotive financing.

> strategies people use
> for grocery shopping with a bike instead of a car, etc.

I use my ST to commute [1], and I'll usually swing by the grocery store
two or three times during the week to get groceries.  At first it was a
pain, but then I realized it freed me to make anything I wanted for
dinner (didn't have to rely on the pantry anymore!) and my fruits and
veggies would always be super fresh since I bought small amounts
frequently.  I think my quality of life (and cooking skills) have
improved for it.

[1] Well, when I'm not traveling for business.

> 2) How to get rid of a non-running Nighthawk?

Just about any non-profit will take your vehicle and help you claim the
tax deduction for the full fair market value.  That's probably the
easiest way to get rid of your bike, but the tax deduction doesn't
always help, depending on your income (check with your accountant/tax
attorney).

> 3) The new Sprint!  I'm thinking I will want a full hard luggage set
> (panniers and top), heated grips (it gets chilly around the Bay Area),
> a larger fairing (I plan on using the bike for backpacking trips with
> my
> partner).  What else do people find useful for comfort and convenience?

If you're looking at an older bike the seat foam is likely to be dead,
so you'll want to get a custom seat, or use a good seat pad (like an
AirHawk).  If you're going to ride double a lot, the custom seat will
probably work better.

I'd get a PathBlazer from Kisan; folks in the Bay Area seem to pay
attention to them better than most.

> How old a bike should I get?  I'm thinking not older than 99/00, since
> that seems to be where the tradeoff between price and low mileage
> is optimal.

The '99 is the first year of the ST design; prior to that it was the
Sprint Executive, which is an entirely different bike.  As others have
said, although the bikes are fantastic they don't hold their value
worth a darn, so you should be able to get a steal on a used bike.

> Are there other ST riders in the Bay Area?  Anyone interested in coffee
> with a newbie?

Love to, but I'm traveling for work for the next couple of months.
Once you get your bike, post again and maybe we can scare up some of
the Bay Area riders for a Bay Area RAT ride?  (Second Saturday of each
month, meeting at CalBMW.)
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Mateo, CA (USA)