RE: [ST] Intro

> 1) The transition of primary transit mode from car to motorcycle.
> I'm concerned about the logistics of paying off the loan on my car,
> coordinating that with the financing of the bike, strategies
> people use
> for grocery shopping with a bike instead of a car, etc.

If you're planning to use the bike year-round, you might want to consider electric clothing, which can be plugged into the Sprint's accessory plug. I make do with a vest in the Bay area. That and some warm stuff on the outside does me pretty well. You'll also want some water-proof clothing, either a waterproof shell to go over leathers, or some kind of cordura waterproof thing like an aerostich or the like.

For groceries: Hard panniers with canvas grocery bags. I can fit a remarkable amount of groceries, just in my side cases. Get the top box, and you're really in business. I prefer the canvas grocery bags for two reasons, they hold up better than the disposable kind under the duress of a motorcycle ride, and I hate wasting grocery bags. The one thing I've never been able to consistently transport without damage is bananas. They are remarkably fragile. It might be different in a top box. But in the side cases I've had the most success in the canvas sacks.

> 2) How to get rid of a non-running Nighthawk?  The salvage place in
> Fremont doesn't want it, and nobody on Craigslist wanted it for $200.
> Maybe someone will take it for free?  What can I do with a vehicle no
> one wants?

Donate it and use the tax write-off (if you're able to). You might be able to donate it to a local school's auto-shop or some such if it needs a lot of work.

If you're in the Bay Area, you might consider coming to the Bay Area RAT pack (triumph owners group) meetings and rides. http://www.bayarearatpack.com/

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA