RE: [ST] chain + sprockets

In your message regarding RE: [ST] chain + sprockets dated Fri, 11
Jun 2004 10:59:16 -0400, Rupert Galea said that ...

> > Stock on newer Sprints is 19/43. Lots of people like 18/43 (myself
> > included) for a bit more grunt. 18/45 is popular over on the T595.net
> > forums for even more grunt. I'm on the fence as to whether I will go
>RG- 18/43
> > or 18/45 for my impending chain+sprocket change. Depends on my success
> > with my recently acquired TuneBoy. The bike is running much better
>RG- (still
> > tweaking), but I don't know if I need any more grunt. 5K RPMs is
>RG- SMOOTH
> > and equates to an indicated 80/81 MPH with 18/43. Not sure I want to
>RG- mess
> > with that.
> >
> > Garry
>RG-
>RG- Thanks Garry. I have a 99 which I believe comes with an 18/43.

I have a '99 and I have gone 18/45.  Still uses 108 link chain.
Shortens wheelbase by just over 1 cm. On Spanish Autoroute (freeway)
journey which is the best test as to how the change on gearing
effects mpg at the top end I was heavily laden and getting much
better than 10 miles per litre 2 weeks ago when averaging (including
fuel stop) 69mph over 250 miles.

Ergo you will not notice any significant change in MPG.

18/45 certainly suits my normal riding roads much better and I would
suggest it is the optimal ratio for the bike.  I always maintained
that Triumph went down the 19/43 route for the US market thinking
that you guys spend all your time on the Freeway ;-P  Any serious
mountain work benefits from 18/45 as you can then sometimes actually
get out of 2nd!!!

If you want to know what the RPM changes are with the different final
drive gearing look back through the archives as I posted it a while
back - or I will resend that post offlist to you.  Seriously, you
will not notice any difference at 80MPH.

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mid Devon, UK