Re: [ST] sprockets and speedometers

I had a speedo shop look at my RS speedo today and he said it cannot be
adjusted.  Yours is a little different, but it apparently would take a
circuit board modification.

Changing the front sprocket made no change to your speedometer
accuracy.  It was way off before and it still is now.  Dropping 2 teeth
in the front raises RPM 10.5% at the same speed.  The engine essentially
has a longer lever arm against the road load and now must travel
"further" (faster) to get the job done.

You don't have any more error than you ever did.

Wagnon Law Firm wrote:

>Listers:
>
>I asked my local Triumph dealer to change my front sprocket at the 6,000 mi
>servicing for my '03 ST.  I said I wanted "to go down one tooth on the
>front."  The guy said I needed a 17-tooth sprocket.  Now I read that my bike
>had an original front with 19-teeth.  Thus, I went down 2 teeth instead of
>1.  Needless to say there is a dramatic difference!  I haven't ridden it
>much since, but I have noticed that my speedometer is WAY OFF.  Is there not
>any way to calibrate the speedo?
>
>Does anyone else run 17/43?
>
>Jeffrey W. Wagnon
>Gadsden, Alabama