Re: [ST] dead batt/engine light

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:37:44 -0500, triumph1 wrote
> OK, three heating cycles it'll be, but thinking back on recent rides
> at night and pulling up to a stop light, I remember the lights
> dimming very slightly and I can see a dim to bright flickering in
> the speedo with the engines idle.  I checked the alternator and if
> my old eyes are seeing my cheap, hard to read analog voltmeter right
> it is only charging at 12-13 volt range which is low, right?

Not if the bettery is flat. The voltage will go up for a fully charged
battery.

To charge a sealed lead-acid battery you need to use a constant voltage
charger which has current limiting. As a rule of thumb a 12V battery should be
charged at around 14.5V when in cyclic use, around 13.5V when in standby use
and the current should be limited to less than 10% of its Current Capacity;
for example, a 12V 1.0Ah battery used cyclicly might be charged at 14.5V at
100mA.

> So if
> the alternator is not charging properly can it be repaired without
> buying a new one?  I get very paranoid over things like this, but at
> least it happened in the garage and not out in the middle of no
> where.  I never have the parking light so that would be out.
>
> Tim
>
> Rick & Joyce wrote:
>
> >Tim,
> >If history is an accurate guide, the light will go out by itself after
three
> >heating / cooling cycles. No worries.  Just ride it.
> >Rick in Oregon
> >'01 Sprint ST
> >

> >>Today I went out to go for a ride and my battery was dead.  I had a new
> >>battery installed a month ago and have not had any problems in 1500
> >>miles.  I charged the battery and started the bike and now the engine
> >>light is on and stays on.  Anyone have a clue where to start?  I am
> >>absolutely helpless with electrical problems of about any nature.  The
> >>bike is an 00 RS and has 49500miles and have never had an issue until
> >>this point.  Any advice or knowledge on this problem is greatly
> >>

> >appreciated.
> >

> >>Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >>Tim Elliott
> >>

> >>     *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
> >>

> >*
> >

> >>      The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> >>          http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info
> >>

> >     *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
*   *
> >      The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> >          http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info

> *   *   *      The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley
> Ltd.          http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info

- --
SimonB - South Wales. BOF#32
email simonb_at_zapik_dot_co_dot_uk@xxxxxxx
http://simonb.zapik.com
Triumph Sprint ST, ZXR750L2 Wazimbaki. Kawasaki Z1R *Still For Sale*
CON of the month http://zapik.com/simonb/fiddle.html