Re: RE: [ST] for Chris - clutch cable

In your message regarding Re: RE: [ST] for Chris - clutch cable dated Mon,
14 Jun 2004 11:29:42 -0500, STeve Duncan said that ...

>SD-
>SD- Yep, carrying a spare cable will almost guarantee that yours will not break
>SD- :))
>SD-
>SD- Been carrying one since the original clutch cable thread, way back in 2001,
>SD- haven't used it yet, but I'm ready.  Also carry spare headlight and
>SD- taillight bulbs, extra fuses, spare key, and haven't had to use any of them
>SD- yet either  :))

I too carry a spare clutch cable when touring and bulbs, fuses, Duct tape,
cable-ties.  But following on from a discussion about my original '99
battery (which is still going strong) on the SWeST list I made this
observation about another potential show-stopper which may be of interest
to anyone else faced with the same problem - read on.

>HD- For the record, I'm not predicting that your battery will fail during the
>HD- trip.

It didn't ;-)

>HD- I'm simply saying that four years is a good run for a battery.
>HD-
>HD- Blowouts or Dead Batteries are issues I dread facing when travelling abroad
>HD- as tyres and batteries come in so many varieties that a delay waiting for
>HD- parts is almost inevitable. Personally I'd rather spring for the battery
>HD- than risk losing even a day of my holidays.

However, next worst is a dead Datatool Alarm remote ...........

Just south of Madrid.  In thunderstorm, torrential rain, arrive at
Parador.  Entrance to Parador is up 3" kerb and 30+ degree slope up ....
cobbles ..... wet cobbles :-(

Nice man comes out in rain and helps me unload luggage - much appreciated.

Go to start bike to put it in underground garage.  Deactivate alarm,
nothing happens, try again - LED works but alarm is not deactivated.
Remote had had a thorough soaking nevertheless LED worked so it should
deactivate .... it didn't!  Fortunately, being an ex-Boy Scout, "I was
prepared" and had brought along my spare, which did work.  Needless to say
for the rest of the trip the spare still stayed in my pocket rather than
on the ignition key fob which is a bit of a PITA but I wasn't prepared to
risk the only other remote I had also failing due to (possible) water
ingress.

I found a camera shop in Alicante and replaced the battery, thinking it
might be that that was causing the problem.  BTW the battery cost less
than 2 Euros - I'm guessing they are more expensive here.  However, after
replacing battery the remote still did not work.

Now some of you may know the answer to this, so do I now after talking to
Datatool today.  If the battery of the remote is for any reason
disconnected the remote HAS TO BE RE-INITIALISED ("Re-aligning" the man at
Datatool called it).

To re-initialise the remote PLACE THE REMOTE CLOSE TO THE ALARM, THEN
PRESS AND HOLD DOWN BOTH BUTTONS FOR 5 SECONDS.

The remote now works :-)

Remember this ;-)

I am just wondering if the old battery was dead as it was a very sudden,
now it works - now it doesn't.  Possibly moisture or static electricity
caused a power interruption and had I re-initialised I may have been
spared my concern.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/