Re: [ST] Trying yet again - splitting this up

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Kevin Dicks wrote:

> I have noticed a whine from the front-end from some time - it got worse
> on this trip. I also noticed a definite slight grinding noise/clicking
> noise when coasting -i.e. not engine related (I don't think). Also, my
> front brakes judder as if a rotor is warped - not sure if this is all
> related to the other symptoms (front bearing maybe ??) or not.

Could be you are hearing the the front pads dragging slightly on the
rotors?  Or that a rotor is warped slightly?  If the clicking is
pronounced you may be right about the bearing...

When I discovered a warp, I started feeling a slight shudder or grabiness
when stopping during the last 5mph of the stop.  When scrubbing off speed
for curves I could see it in my mirrors, they would vibrate which
significantly distorted the image.  I strapped a feeler gage to the forks
to find the warped rotor, was easy to pick up that way...

If you've not had the front apart you may want to just take things off and
inspect pads, clean calipers, lube the speedo pickup, etc. and put things
back together with proper torque values.  I always put a little white
lithium grease on the middle of the axle too, not sure if it's required or
not.

If you get someone to push down on the back of the bike while center
standed (or sit on it and lean back) you'll be able to spin the front
wheel and check for sounds, rubs, etc.

FWIW, HIH.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '98 VFR800FI -hers    ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  '89 Hawk GT  -hers   Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  66    U    AMA,CMHmoto,HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail