Re: [ST] for Chris - clutch cable

Bil Swartz wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Mike Bostock wrote:
>

>>Now some of you may know the answer to this, so do I now after talking to
>>Datatool today.  If the battery of the remote is for any reason
>>disconnected the remote HAS TO BE RE-INITIALISED ("Re-aligning" the man at
>>Datatool called it).
>>
>>To re-initialise the remote PLACE THE REMOTE CLOSE TO THE ALARM, THEN
>>PRESS AND HOLD DOWN BOTH BUTTONS FOR 5 SECONDS.
>>
>>The remote now works :-)
>>
>>Remember this ;-)
>

> Yikes!  Is this to say that *if* I had a Datatool remote I could hold mine
> close to your bike, reinitialise it, and be able to control your
> immobilizer?

Not a chance.  There's a matched code within each alarm and alarm push,
PLUS there's a number sequence which is hashed onto this.  The alarm and
alarm push keep track of the number sequence, and the alarm knows only
to accept numbers in front of the recent ones it has seen.  This
prevents someone from using a radio grabber to disable your alarm, as
they'd be grabbing a 'used' code, i.e. one which has already been seen.
  I think it's a 32-bit counter, so 4 billion possibilities, plus
whatever the hashed main code is.

Pushing both buttons simply tells the alarm system to restart its
internal up counter at some point, rather than using its stored one.  I
assume that the alarm push cannot store its counter without batteries.

If someone with a radio grabber grabbed the two-button push however,
they'd be in.

:-)

Andrew

End of st-digest V2004 #320