From: Adam C Williams <sprintpgh@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jun 16, 2004 10:34 AM
To: pghratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re: Brief trip report  then back to lurk mode

Hey All,
        Returned from my southern sojourn Thurs. past - worst weather
I've ever ridden in but best trip I've ever taken! Sprint was flawless as
usual, even though you could not tell what colour it was after the 2nd
day...I've done many miles in the rain, but this trip I really lived in
it. Can say that I actually learned to ride in the wet last week. Triumph
5 pocket jeans ARE waterproof thankfully and Lucas HAS been exorcised.
        Did the trip solo, and learned that that is actually very
enjoyable, as you seem to meet more people that way. I suppose one guy on
a bike is less intimidating than a group? Met the owner of Stations Inn
while at Mabrys Mill,(riding an old Indian) 3 separate British couples,
(one actually videoed the muddy Sprint in excitement) a bunch of A.T.
through hikers, (talk about nuts!) a German couple on rented Harleys, (he
spoke no English, but they had previously ridden the PCH) a former EDS
employee who's been -everywhere- (even was a missionary for a spell), a
couple from Ohio who as it turns out know the father of a friend of my
wife. (did that make sense?) Also the parents of Mike Weber the Ducati
tuner from Loudon N.H., and a family from Va. - he works occasionally
with UPMC here in Pittsburgh. There were many others, fun but less
notable.
        If you camp already, it is not a stretch in the least to do so
from a bike. I believe that is my new paradigm in fact. Way cheap and
somehow ...purer? Also being alone allows you to do whatcha want - I
elected to take a couple of trail walks to waterfalls and such. My normal
companions would not dream of such behavior... Ground down the peg
feelers a couple of times, so trip wasn't ALL mellow sightseeing - don't
want you guys getting the wrong idea, now...
        Only coversd 1308 mi in 7 days, but wx. was really bad early on.
Never made it to Cherokee only to near Linville, but found lotsa great
roads off of Skyline/Northern BRP. Will ride Skyline again as it is close
to home, but must admit Northern BRP is not nearly as inspiring as the
southern 100 -150 miles.
                Happily,
        Adam - now clean 99ST