Re: [ST] A different brake fluid question

> I had a discussion recently with a non-Triumph shop manager about this.
He
> advised against going to dual lines, unless I was reducing inside diameter
> of the lines.  He said I would get an even softer level replacing the
> crossover.  There's a hydrodynamics discussion here, but I ain't smurt
> enough to really understand it fully.  Probably something about increasing
> the amount of fluid being displaced/moved by the same sized cylinder isn't
> as efficent.  But I have been told by a Triumph shop owner that he did an
> experiment on an RS using 2 OEM Triumph long hoses, one to each caliper,
and
> the owner of the bike was pleased with the results.  Any thoughts out
there?
>   I've got the parts to do the dual OEM swapover, but now I'm hesitant.

That makes no sense to me. The master cylinder moves the same amount of
fluid as before. Brake fluid is basically incompressible, so how can it make
it softer? We've got braided stainless lines already, so it isn't like
you're adding an extra length of fleixble hose.

Bottom Line: I got the SkyKing kit with a larger master cylinder and second
hose. MUCH better feel, no sponginess. You do have to use more force at the
lever though, but I'll trade better, more predicatable feel for that. I'm
not sure what percentage of the improvement is due to the second line vs the
larger master cylinder. I would think getting rid of the crossover hose
means you can really get the system bled well and that has to be a Good
Thing.

Garry