[ST] Hole where one doesn't belong.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286486203

Some friends and I were out on a nice ride in Northern California today.  We
took Alum Rock in San Jose to Mt. Hamilton then cut north on Mines Rd to
Livermore.  I was riding a bit hard today and led the group through the
twisty roads.  All went well and we arrived in Livermore for lunch.  After
lunch it was just taking it easy on the freeway ride home.

We got on 92 (San Mateo Bridge) and were heading on the final stretch home.
Just before the toll plaza, my bike made a metal clinking sound and the rear
tire locked up.  I was going about 70 mph in top gear, just cruising w/
traffic at the time.  My initial thought was a broken chain or something,
anything, but what actually happened.  I pulled in the clutch and she
coasted fine.  I was able to get over to the center of the freeway safely.
The link above explains the rest.

Sorry about the picture hosting acct... You may need to sign up for a free
acct to view them.

What happened???  I don't know.  Does anyone know what a possible cause
could be?  She was running normal until then.  Does anyone know what a new
motor and labor costs in California area?  My dealership is closed on
Mondays (I think).  My left boot and pants were soaked w/ oil.  The bike
only has about 5k miles on it.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marco