[Fwd: Re: [ST] Ride to work]

Steve Lawler wrote:

> In a previous email, Zoltan Pavlakovich stated:
>
>>Just curious how many of you ride to work on a daily basis...
>

> I ride to work every day. Rain or shine. 100 degrees or 10 degrees. I
> take the car or minivan if I have to carry something too big for the
> bike or the wife is coming into the city for dinner or a party with me.
> What makes me take the train: ice, snow, bike in for servicing, going
> out for drinks with friends after work, or a frozen fuel line.

I'm close, but sadly if it is raining in the morning I will take the
truck. Just a bit too much effort to put on the rain gear for a 6 mile
commute. If my commute was longer than 10 or 15 miles, I would probably
leave the truck home when it rains.

> Yes, you do have some of the most beautiful weather in the country. And

California, great to visit.

> or silicone factory. But you also have, the governator, earthquakes,
> droughts, rolling blackouts, those absurd vehicle emission laws, the
> most expensive gasoline in the country, intense traffic jams on the
> freeways. I suppose you can ease the cost of gas by riding daily. You

Sadly, considering with prop 13 and the cost of houses out there, it
would simple be impossible for me to enjoy my current standard of living
in the Bat or LA area.

> I'm quite sure that we have plenty of things here in the northeast that
> make people want to stay away in droves.

Yeah, snow.

> I wouldn't mind living in Texas. 40 degrees is considered cold and they
> had enough smarts to get rid of their dopey governor. ;-) I would also

Yeah, but I am guessing he will be back living here full time next
spring. And Perry is no better!

> like to meet Dunc face to face for a pissing contest. Not the typical
> one but the I-bet-I-can-make-you-piss-in-your-pants-first contest!

I stay clear of that one.

> Where ever you live is a good place to live and every other place sucks.

AS with bikes, I can find the good in almost any place. Chernobyl, India
  and the middle east are out, but I can't really think of a place North
of Mexico I would not want to ride through, well at least once :-)

cheers,
Tom