Re: [ST] Mixing Tires

> I am thinking about the benefits and liabilities of replacing a
front
> Bridgestone BT020 with the stickier BT010.  However, I plan to stay
with the
> rear BT020's because I just got 7000 miles (my best rear tire
mileage yet).

> I bet several of you out their have tried this combo.  How did they
work
> together?

George,
This subject came up last summer.  Here's a compilation of responses
worth reading.  Be sure to read the article linked at the bottom.
- --
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST

Well it seems fate answered my questions below.

Last week I was out doing what the ST does best. Touring on virtually
empty
fast mountain roads through mid-NSW (Australia) :))) Found that on the
map I
would be saying to myself 'OK, I'll stop here', but when I got there,
I felt
so good I just kept going. 600-800 km days proved to be no problem
with lots
of stops.

Anyway, I was about to hit what is reputedly the best bike road in Oz,
the
Oxley Hwy between Armidale and Port Macquarie when I got a puncture on
my
rear 020- with just c. 2000 km on it :(  24 hours later I was on my
way
again with a new 012 rear to match my 010 (c. 2000 km old) front.
Hence my
fears below answered.

And (after dutifully scrubbing in on some awesome sweepers) it allowed
me to
directly compare the 010/020 (@36/42 psi) combo with the 010/010 (or
in this
case the updated 012) (@36/42 psi) on the same roads/conditions/time.
Result? 100% better! No kidding. Ever since I changed my OEM 57s to
the
010/020 combo I have been struggling with the bikes handling- on the
track,
touring and around town. The fast turning 010 front would dive in to a
corner and the (slower turning) 020 rear would lag behind. Result was
more
of a lunge/dive corner rather than a nice smooth transition. No amount
of
playing around with suspension and tyre pressures on the track would
cure
it. Of course I know that 010/012 combo is always going to be
faster/stickier, but *more importantly* the bike is instantly balanced
too.

I presume a 020/020 would be just as good (if a little
slower/stickier), but
my advise FWIW to anyone running a 010/020 combo (perhaps in the cause
of
economy) is to do as Bridgestone advises and change to a 010/010 or
020/020
combo when you next change  because the difference is amazing. And,
like the
Bridgestone guy said (see link below), they know that rears wear
faster so
they make them harder wearing.

Just my AUD0.02 cents worth (c. USD0.015)

Barry
01 BRG ST

> > You might find this of interest. From the Fazer mailing list...

http://pub32.ezboard.com/ffazerownersfrm5.showMessage?topicID=212.topic

End of st-digest V2004 #115