Re: [ST] Tire Pressure on a Worn Rear

- --=======39036B3C=======

George,

I've been fighting with myself to avoid this discussion, because the
polarized views are clearly in conflict.  But, I think you've settled on
the wrong advice, so I'll throw in my $.02.

First, let me say that if your tire is so warn as to be unsafe, my advice
would be, don't ride until you replace the tire.  In my younger, poorer
days I have ridden with cord showing because I couldn't afford a
replacement - but I'd never do that today.

Secondly, to state that most tire wear is caused by heat, is an over
simplification and one that has been misinterpreted in these
discussions.  Under inflated tires generate additional heat because of the
increased flexing of the sidewalls.  This heat, in turn, warms the tread,
making it softer and more susceptible to abrasion from the road
surface.  It is abrasion that causes tire wear - heat only exacerbates the
process.  The question is, "what part of the tire will be worn when the
tire is under inflated?"  Rather than take my advice, or the advice of
others here, look at any tire manufacturer's web site.  You will see that
under inflated tires wear on the shoulders, over inflated tires wear in the
center.  Now, ask yourself where you have the most remaining tread.

Craig

At 02:14 PM 3/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:

> > Right!  Also, the more tire that contacts the road, the more heat that
> > is generated.  The hotter a tire gets, the softer the rubber becomes
> > and the faster the rubber wears.  And, unless you're just going to go
> > around in circles, the point of highest temperature and wear will be
> > right down the middle where you tire is currently the thinnest.
>
>Thanks Blake, STeve and the rest of you for setting me straight.   You guys
>make sense...42 psi for the worn rear it is!
>
>George Cope
>Roseville, CA (where gusty 35mph wind keeps me home)
>'99 Sprint ST Midnight

- ---