[ST] Re-entry to the Sprint list & a query

Hi all. My name is Bob Nixon (58 geezer), live in Phoenix Az and bought my
red 01 ST new.

Me last weekend: http://members.cox.net/bigrex/Bob_TD

The bike recently turned over 40,000 miles and I bought another bike for
local canyon & track day duty (GSXR1000K3). I'm having hard bags, rack & a
2bros pipe installed on the Sprint this week; making plans for this summer's
rides. I still love the bike. from it's clean lines to the smooth torquey
triple. The new bike is a better tool from a pure sport bike perspective but
lacks the comfort & character of the Sprint.

http://members.cox.net/bigrex/TTF-13104-2
http://extexltd.com/bigrex/Firebird-West_TD/TD_22904-4.JPG
(recent bike photos above)

02 Sprint track shot: http://members.cox.net/bigrex/TD_121502

History:

I joined this list a couple of years ago but got to where I didn't have the
time to keep up with the reading but rejoined in interest of my ST's
revamping status.

My ST had a few common problems early on:

Oil pumping in the airbox: seal replaced.

Overflow coolant tank leaking and made a mess on that side; tank replaced
under warranty.

Neutral light stayed on all the time; warranty fix.

Fuel return (plastic quick disconnect) plug broken twice; once after a
garage drop & the second time on it's own. The local dealer "Cycle Moto" in
Mesa Az had a permanent reroute fix and it's been fixed since.

Clutch rod started leaking oil at the very end of the warranty; O-ring
replaced.

The bike went down during a low-side at the track but the repairs were
mostly expensive plastic.

Since the end of the 24K warranty the bike has had few problems, other than
normal replacements; 13 sets of tires (1800 to 5K mileage), three sets of
brake pads & of course a bunch of oil changes. 1 chain/AL (45tooth) sproket
replacement. The current DID X-ring has 20K with likely 5 to 10K life left.
Oh... the speedo quit working when I last changed the front tire. Dealer
fixing this week. along with the other stuff mentioned.

The front rotors are now mildly warped (ECB HH pads?) but not a big concern
as I won't be doing any more track days on this bike. Basically the bike has
been mechanically flogged but has held up exceptionally well with the
engine, trans still doing well. Along with the bag installation, I'm having
the valves checked, compression test, new fuel filter, clean the K&N and new
plugs installed. BTW, The FI map is #13 (pipe mod).

Finally a single question for the Sprint listers:

The two brothers pipe is being installed solely for the purpose of enhancing
ground clearance with the pipe down in the lower position. My rationale is
that when I traded off with friend's ST, with bags, I scraped his pipe at
lean angles that wouldn't even scrape the right side of the fairing. (mine
is tore up on that side).

http://members.cox.net/bigrex/ST-3
http://members.cox.net/bigrex/ST-2

Anyway, am I fooling myself that the skinny 2-bros pipe with keep it up out
of harms way?

Thanks all & happy Sprinting -:)