Re: [ST] Engine Management Light ---Help!!!

Here's the deal on the Engine Management Light from the Triumph manual:

I'm paraphrasing here as I really don't want to type the whole thing in:

The on board diagnostics have two levels of fault detection.  The first
raises a flag that something might be wrong and starts a counter.  As the
count continues, if the fault is not confirmed by a 'predetermined
threshold' (which is different for each type of fault detected) nothing
happens and the counter resets itself.  As the count continues, if the
fault continues and is confirmed, the data is logged into the ECM.  If the
fault is emissions related or a serious malfunction afffecting engine
performance, the fault is logged into the ECM and the light on the
instrument cluster is turned on.

Once the warning light is on by a fault being confirmed, the number of
warm-up cycles made by the engine is counted.  If the fault clears, the
light will extinguish after a 'predetermined count' of warm up cycles
occurs.  The manual doesn't mention what this number is, but evidenced from
my own observations and from those on this list, that seems to be three
cycles.

A single warm up cycle is defined as:

The coolant temp must be raised to 72C or more
The coolant temp must have risen by 23C or more from its start temp, when
72C is reached.
A controlled power-down sequence must take place.

So, in order to extinguish the light on the dash, there cannot be a
continued fault that needs to be corrected, such as a faulty sensor, you
must completly warm up the engine and allow it to cool, you must go through
a controlled power-down sequence, which means the engine must be started
and turned off by the key.  I'm assuming they don't want an easy way to
extinguish the light as the engine must be running and close to operating
temperature for the engine management system to determine it the fault is
still there or not, therefore the warm up cycle solution.

While turning the key on and off several times without starting the engine
seems to help kick the computer into the proper alignment at times and can
help 'reboot' the computer, this procedure cannot turn off the engine
management light.  These are two different processes.

As an aside, you should be turning your Triumph off with the Key, not the
Kill Switch (unless it is an emergency) as the bike keeps the main power on
after turning the key off so the computer can write data to the ECM,
reference the position of the idle air control valve stepper motor, and run
the fan if necessary before completely powering down.  This cannot happen
if you use the kill switch first.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

Dan Wallander