Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #123

In a previous email, Rod Brown stated:
> In my opinion, MSF is great.  My son won't touch his new bike until he goes
> through that course.

Same rule applies in my house. When it came time for one of my sons to
take the course, he took the written test twice and failed. Finally, HE
was the one that realized that he is too much of a space shot to get on
a bike. Don't get me wrong he is a bright kid. How many 17 year olds do
you know that can recognize and are willing to admit their shortcomings?
He decided to wait until he got more road experience in a cage.

In case you were wondering, yes, the local auto body shop knows us by
face and vehicle. The solution to a complex polynomial math equation: 2
boys at 17 years equals 4 accidents in 7 months.

> "BUT" I definitely don't agree with everything they
> teach.  At my location, the instructors were Gold Wing, Harley and metric
> cruiser guys, not one had sport bike experience.   They were constantly on
> my case for having two fingers on the front brake.

I'm with you there. But I use three. Index and thumb on the throttle,
the other guys on the brake. The ERC instructor told me not to do that
because my finger might prevent me from squeezing the brake all the way.
I thought to my self "With these brakes, I'm not so sure if I want to do
that." Besides, with my long spindly fingers, I have the lever set on
one of the farther out settings and a full squeeze still leaves plenty
of vacancy over in Index Fingerland.

> Lots of other small
> things.  I just smiled and complied, then went right back to what I was
> doing when I left the training lot.   GREAT course, just not perfect.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all
who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed
at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at
Bozo the Clown."
            -- Carl Sagan