From: Zoltan Pavlakovich
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 3/7/2004 11:37:27 AM
Subject: [ST] noisy fuel pump

I'm also one of those offenders who doesn't shut down the bike with the key. Until now I didn't give it much thought but it makes sense. I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with a noisy fuel pump at start-up. First thing in the morning I have a routine (actually I'm lucky here in SoCal and can ride daily), I usually warm up the bike (2-3 minutes while buttoning up, helmet, gloves...) OK here is the routine - turn the key on, select neutral, pull the clutch, switch kill switch off and then there it is - a honking nasal humm from the fuel pump (I assume it is the fuel pump since it is coming from the right side of the tank area) that lasts about ten seconds. Sounds almost like a pump that is priming (running without fuel). Funny thing is, it doesn't make that sound when the engine is warm. The ST is less than 2000 miles old and did it ever since I bought it new. 2001 model bought end of 2003. Any suggestions before I take her in for a check-up?

Zoltan
01 ST red
- ------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>My '99 has been honking occasionally since it was new.&nbsp; Seems to do it more when it's cold, but it will do it at any point for varying amounts of time.&nbsp; It is the fuel pump and other than being an annoying noise, I really don't think there is anything to be worried about.&nbsp; Some people have had their fuel pumps replaced.&nbsp; Some of those people have had the noise come back with the new fuel pump.&nbsp; Since mine didn't do it with any regularity or for any great length of time, I just left it alone.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dan.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Dan Wallander</DIV>
<DIV>Albuquerque, New Mexico</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.danwallander.com";>www.danwallander.com</A> </DIV>
<DIV>Triumph Sprint ST :: BMW R90/6</DIV>
<DIV>TSRA-VP, ABC, IBA, AMA,HSTA</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=zpavlakovich@xxxxxxxxxxx href="mailto:zpavlakovich@xxxxxxxxxxx";>Zoltan Pavlakovich</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To: </B><A title=ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx href="mailto:ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> 3/7/2004 11:37:27 AM </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [ST] noisy fuel pump</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT size=2>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm also one of those offenders who doesn't shut down the bike with the key. Until now I didn't give it much thought but it makes sense. I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with a noisy fuel pump at start-up. First thing in the morning I have a routine (actually I'm lucky here in SoCal and can ride daily), I usually warm up the bike (2-3 minutes while buttoning up, helmet, gloves...) OK here is the routine - turn the key on, select neutral, pull the clutch, switch kill switch off and then there it is - a honking nasal humm from the fuel pump (I assume it is the fuel pump since it is coming from the right side of the tank area) that lasts about ten seconds. Sounds almost like a pump that is priming (running without fuel). Funny thing is, it doesn't make that sound when the engine is warm. The ST is less than 2000 miles old and did it ever since I bought it new. 2001 model bought end of 2003. Any suggestions before I take her in for a check-up?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Zoltan</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>01 ST red</FONT></DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
- ------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--