[ST] noisy fuel pump

Having read with interest the "noisy fuel pump" theads from the beginning, (well, at least MY begining in '99), I'd like to throw in my 2¢:

I don't know if you have have some 'horrible' noise you're talking about, but I can almost always "hear" my fuel pump working.  Fuel injection obviously needs "pressure" if you don't have any, you'll hear the pump run until you do, otherwise the engine won't start.  On a warm day when you've run the bike, it still has pressure and you don't hear the noise.  On a cold morning after ignoring the bike for a week, it will spin for several seconds, (and be a little louder), as the system pressurizes.  My FI '79 Alfa Romeo actually has a "fuel pressure" light that goes OUT when the system is fully pressurized.  Until it does, the engine will run very sporadically, if at all, if you try to start it.
One thing I learned from my Alfa is to never start a FI engine until it's pressurized.  It's second nature for me to wait for the "whine" to cease before starting the ST.  On the Alfa, obviously I have the light.  On my 911, I wait until the antenna has raised to start it.  Although the 911 has no light, no warning in the Owners manual, it too runs roughly for 10-30 seconds if I don't WAIT for the pump.
And, of course, that's just MY experience.  YMMV.

David
'99ST

ps.  and Keith, thanks from me too for posting Ross' response.  I plan on posting it several BMW sites I frequent, both in reference to the "kill switch" issue, as well as an example of what "customer service" is about!