Re: [ST] What did I do wrong?

On Mar 9, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Harries, Mort wrote:
> Still, what bugs me is if something like this
> starts to happen, is there anything I can do to prevent it?

They key is to ride the slide out--don't chop the throttle and don't
hit the brakes.  Keep a steady throttle and steer the bike into a
straight line.  Worst case, you can't catch the slide and you end up
low-siding the bike.

I've low-sided at 60 MPH on asphalt (at a track day), and I've
high-sided on a dirt bike (on a dirt track) at 15 MPH.  The high-side
broke my collarbone, the low-side just gave me a few bruises.  I'll
take a fast low-side to any kind of high-side any day!

A great way to practice is to get on a dirt bike with a smooth rear and
a knobby front, and then practice sliding the rear out at low speeds in
the dirt.  Freddie Spencer uses just this kind of setup in his
three-day classes to get students comfortable and practiced with
controlling a bike when the rear is sliding.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.
San Jose, CA  (USA)