Re: [ST] California bikes

Jack Hays wrote:

> I need some input from my list members in California, or who have brought
> bikes into Arnoldfornia.

it's easy if you follow the book...  sorta....

> It seems I've seen this issue many times before in the last several years.
> Any first hand help would be appreciated.
(this is first hand)

02 49 state bike, now registered in CA.

DMV requirements -- stock exhaust, bring title (it's easier when bike
will be retitled -- there is such a thing as a family transfer of title,
which isn't taxed), bike will need 7.5k on the ODO, else it is
considered a new vehicle (and taxed appropriately).  Best done before
reg expires (legally speaking, it must be done within 20 days of vehicle
arriving in the state, but everyone seems to fib about that).

Make appt at DMV, plan for an hour there.  There will be a numbers check
on the bike.  Make sure numbers match.  DMV absolutely must see the DOT
and EPA stamps on the bike and exhaust, along with VIN and engine number.

Good luck.

chuck