[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #147

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:04:03 -0500
> From: "Heyer, Matthew A." <mheyer@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Triumph throw-over soft bags
>
> Hey all - I've been thinking about getting rid of my hard bags and getting
> the soft bags.  For anyone that has them: do the straps for the hard bags
> make the passenger uncomfortable?  Is there a way to run the straps under
> the seat instead?  Thanks
>
> Matt Heyer
> '01 BRG Sprint ST

My advice would be against the soft bags. Having done just that last summer
(1800 mile high speed Colorado trip) and now that I have hard bags, it's
just much easier to take them on and off. Besides they make the bike look
cheap & scratch to cowl. If you're worried about ground clearance with the
low pipe, the photo link below will demontrate that you don't have to keep
the pipe way down flat.

http://members.cox.net/bigrex/ST01
http://members.cox.net/bigrex/ST02
http://members.cox.net/bigrex/ST03

As you can see the Two Brothers pipe is up out of harms way. I tested the
concept in the local canyon last weekend at speeds to 140 indicated and
scraped the fairing and feelerless nubs of my pegs on the tight 10-15MPH
marked turns.

Also, for those who have Broad Band, below are some links to my on board
videos, on my Sprint/GSXR, in both Apache Trail 88 and the Devil's
highway-"666"; new 191, near the NM border last summer. 191 is 100 miles of
remote twisties with very low cage and -0- leo presense.

http://extexltd.com/bigrex/MOV00080.MPG
http://extexltd.com/bigrex/MOV00051.MPG
http://extexltd.com/bigrex/Triple1.mpg
http://extexltd.com/bigrex/1ST_GSXR-1K.wmv
http://extexltd.com/bigrex/Bob&Mike_191.wmv

If a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe an onboard video is worth
10,000 -:)

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:44:03 -0800
> From: Shawn Mouser <srmouser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Not a tire thread!
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've been reading the list for months with interest and I've been
> content to lurk and learn. Now I have two questions that are tire
> related but hopefully won't start another dreaded tire thread.

[...] snipped for brevity

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Shawn
> Los Angeles
> '02 BRG ST

Shawn. I've gone through something like 14 sets of tires on My ST in 40,000
miles. The M1 Sportec is by far the lowest mileage tires I've tried at a low
of 1800 miles (two track days + aggessive canyon riding). My best mileage
and decent traction is the 020R/010F combo that's been good for 5000 miles
and provides respectable traction.
On tire changing. I take the wheels off myself and it costs $20 to $0
depending if a friend lets me use his tire machine. The $20 is at the Honda
dealer near work.

[...]

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:25:06 -0500
> From: "Kevin Dicks" <rawsonboy@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] RE: st-digest V2004 #145
>
> >Bob, I have a Corbin that I have had about 7500 miles.  My longest days
> >have been in the 400-500 mile range.  I have no compliants and find it
> >easily good for that many miles at a sitting.  Last year I rode from
> >Mansfield,OH to W-S, NC with 2 stops in under 8 hours, 480 miles.  That
> >said I thought the stock seat was fine.  I have a Corbin for the
> >passinger backrest.  Two up my wife and I have done over 400 miles.  Her
> >only compliant is she tends to slide forward.  This is partially due to
> >the saddlebags, soft, as well as the seat.
>
> >Rick
> >00 Sprint ST

Thanks Rick/Kevin? and other responders to my aftermarket seat question. My
longest days on the stock seat have been 600 miles. I'm fairly short at 5'9"
and would like to keep the nice flat footed height of the stocker but I do
experience butt burn at >150 miles at a sitting. I guess I'm just going to
have to try sitting on a Sprint with a Corbin and or Sargent seat.

Bob Nixon
Chandler, Az (PHX metro) year round riding
01 Sprint ST "RED" 40K & just broke it.
03 GSXR 1000 K3 Silver (all the kiddie graphics removed)

http://extexltd.com/bigrex/Firebird-West_TD/TD_22904-4.JPG
http://members.cox.net/bigrex/Geezer

PS. If you don't care for my photo/vidio links, sorry (ignore ) but I like
to put a real person behind these one dimensional text messages. Later on,
I'll also post links to ride reports with photos, all from out West -:)
[...]