Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #147

Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:

>It's not so much the clearance and performance that I'm concerned about.  I
>recently took off the brackets for the hard luggage to clean-up the look of
>the rear of the bike (especially since I put the PowerMax underseat exhaust
>on last fall).  That got me to thinking that for the few times a year (two
>or three) that I use the luggage, maybe I should just sell the hard luggage.
>I could then by the soft luggage for the few times I need the extra storage.
>Also, I think that the soft luggage looks better on the bike.  Additionally,
>the extra money from selling the hard luggage and buying the soft luggage
>could off-set all the money I've been dumping into other things for the
>bike.  That's my line of thinking....
>
>Matt Heyer
>'01 BRG Sprint ST

Matt,
   I have both the hard and soft luggage and a power max exhaust on my
Sprint.
I wanted hard luggage when I bought  the bike but the soft luggage came
as part of the
deal so I used it for a couple of years. I never took it off the bike. I
never ride 2 up.
After two years the  sun had faded the black fabric and the cardboard or
plastic that is supposed
to maintain the shape had collapsed. I found a set hard bags on e-bay
for $600 and I haven't
taken them off since I installed them.  My helmet will fit in one of the
bags so I keep it empty and just
lock my helment up in there when I stop.  I carry leathers and heavy
coats and gloves in the winter and need
a place to put them when it warms up. I also have a small RKA tank bag
for my Leatherman tool kit and a wet
rag to wipe the bugs off my visor and a ton of maps.  If you want to see
how the soft luggage looks on the bike
drop me a line off list and I'll email you a pic.
Al Garvin