[ST] Engine Light

- --0-766373543-1079969948=:61386

Greetings, ST'ers.  First, thanks to everyone who responded with tips about finding right side bodywork for my '02 ST.  I still haven't found any, and have been emailing dealers and checking eBay daily.  The stuff that's been on eBay has been pretty trashed, but I will keep up the fight!  Any other help in this area would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Now I have an issue with the engine light.  The previous owner parked the bike since his accident in October '03.  Then, before I took ownership of the bike, he jury rigged various batteries (he blew up the stock battery by putting it on a car charger) and cables to get it to start.  I believe he even reversed polarity during one of his starting attempts.  Since then, I've installed a new, correct battery, which works fine (and the engine runs just fine with no funny noises, etc.) - but the light remains on.

Is this most likely the computer correctly detecting a fault with electronics during all this battery nonsense and responding with a "check engine" light?  How do I reset the computer so the light will extinguish?

Thanks, folks!

- - Scott
'02 ST

Do you Yahoo!?
- --0-766373543-1079969948=:61386

<DIV>Greetings, ST'ers.&nbsp; First, thanks to everyone who responded with tips about finding right side bodywork for my '02 ST.&nbsp; I still haven't found any, and have been emailing dealers and checking eBay daily.&nbsp; The stuff that's been on eBay has been pretty trashed, but I will keep up the fight!&nbsp; Any other help in this area would be greatly appreciated - thanks!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now I have an issue with the engine light.&nbsp; The previous owner parked the bike since his accident in October '03.&nbsp; Then, before I took ownership of the bike, he jury rigged various batteries (he blew up the stock battery by putting it on a car charger) and cables to get it to start.&nbsp; I believe he even reversed polarity during one of his starting attempts.&nbsp; Since then, I've installed a new, correct battery, which works fine (and the engine runs just fine with no funny noises, etc.) - but the light remains on.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is this&nbsp;most likely&nbsp;the computer correctly detecting a fault with electronics during all this battery nonsense and responding with a "check engine" light?&nbsp; How do I reset the computer so the light will extinguish?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, folks!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- Scott</DIV>