RE: [ST] Engine Light

- ------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

The light will extinquish after three complete warm and cool cycles IF there isn't a genuine fault being detected by the computer.

Because of the bad goings on with the battery or crash damage, the system may be detecting a genuine fault in that area or another.  The cross polarity or overcharge may have taken out a system sensor which would be continuing to give the computer a fault indication.  If this is the case, you will have to take the bike to a Triumph dealer so they can hook up their game boy to see where the fault is.  Once the problem is corrected, the game boy can be used to reset the light, or the light will go out after three warm/cool cycles if there are no more faults detected.

Dan.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.danwallander.com
Triumph Sprint ST :: BMW R90/6
TSRA-VP, ABC, IBA, AMA,HSTA

Now I have an issue with the engine light.  The previous owner parked the bike since his accident in October '03.  Then, before I took ownership of the bike, he jury rigged various batteries (he blew up the stock battery by putting it on a car charger) and cables to get it to start.  I believe he even reversed polarity during one of his starting attempts.  Since then, I've installed a new, correct battery, which works fine (and the engine runs just fine with no funny noises, etc.) - but the light remains on.

Is this most likely the computer correctly detecting a fault with electronics during all this battery nonsense and responding with a "check engine" light?  How do I reset the computer so the light will extinguish?
- ------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>The light will extinquish after three complete warm and cool cycles IF there isn't a genuine fault being detected by the computer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>Because of the bad goings on with the battery or crash damage, the system may be detecting a genuine fault in that area or another.&nbsp; The cross polarity or overcharge may have taken out a system sensor which would be continuing to give the computer a fault indication.&nbsp; If this is the case, you will have to take the bike to a Triumph dealer so they can hook up their game boy to see where the fault is.&nbsp; Once the problem is corrected, the game boy can be used to reset the light, or the light will go out after three warm/cool cycles if there are no more faults detected.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>Dan.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Dan Wallander</DIV>
<DIV>Albuquerque, New Mexico</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.danwallander.com";>www.danwallander.com</A> </DIV>
<DIV>Triumph Sprint ST :: BMW R90/6</DIV>
<DIV>TSRA-VP, ABC, IBA, AMA,HSTA</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid"><FONT size=2>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now I have an issue with the engine light.&nbsp; The previous owner parked the bike since his accident in October '03.&nbsp; Then, before I took ownership of the bike, he jury rigged various batteries (he blew up the stock battery by putting it on a car charger) and cables to get it to start.&nbsp; I believe he even reversed polarity during one of his starting attempts.&nbsp; Since then, I've installed a new, correct battery, which works fine (and the engine runs just fine with no funny noises, etc.) - but the light remains on.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is this&nbsp;most likely&nbsp;the computer correctly detecting a fault with electronics during all this battery nonsense and responding with a "check engine" light?&nbsp; How do I reset the computer so the light will extinguish?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
- ------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--