[ST] 2004 Warfare

The April 2004 issue of Roadracing World did a shootout of the new 1000cc rockets.

Kawasaki ZX-10R Dynoed @ 161.9 HP/80.5 ft-lbs (Claimed 186 bhp @ 11,500)
Honda CBR1000RR Dynoed @ 153.3 HP/78.6 ft-lbs (Claimed 172 bhp @ 10,500)
Suzuki GSX-R1000 Dynoed @ 150.5 HP/77.7 ft-lbs (Claimed 165 bhp @ 11,500)

Yamaha missed it?  Roadracing World said: "Thanks to what can only be described as either a disjointed or non-existent bike introduction policy, Yamaha couldn't get us a 2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 in time for this issue, and never mind that the day before we were due at the teest track we discovered that customers were already able to buy 2004 R1s at the dealers in Washington state."

Hummmm?  The press intro for the R1 claims 180 bhp @12,500 RPM and 81.2 ft-lbs @ 10,500. Ya think Yamaha didn't want to new R1 tested for a reason?

It's more than just raw HP though, right?  I mean there's weight, chassis dimensions, suspension setup/handling.  You can have all the HP in the world but if it handles like a HOG, er' um, I mean PIG, what good is it?

I'd still buy an R1.  Heck, wasn't it Pascal Picotte who finished 7th at the Daytona 200 with basically a stock 2004 R1 and no factory support?

Rich