[ST] triumph British Superbike update

Stunning second place in season opener

Triumph ValMoto got the 2004 British Superbike Championship season off to a
flying start when Craig Jones raced to second place in the Supersport class
and set a new lap record in the process. The 19-year-old rider was in good
form throughout the weekend. In Friday's practice sessions, he lapped
swiftly and consistently despite varying conditions, to ensure that his
Triumph ValMoto Daytona 600 was always one of the fastest machines on
track. Jones was then able to transfer this momentum through to Saturday's
qualifying where he occupied provisional pole position for significant
length of time before booking a stunning front row start for Sunday's
eagerly anticipated contest.

When the lights went green for the first championship race of the year,
Jones set about stamping his authority on proceedings. Despite getting a
less than ideal start that dropped him back to eighth place, he still was
able to pick off his rivals at will. The Union Jack emblazoned Daytona tore
through the opposition as Jones thrilled 23,500 Silverstone spectators with
his exquisitely loose yet tactical riding style. Having despatched quality
riders including former GP rider Jay Vincent and Michael Laverty on the
factory Ducati - recording his 1:30.125 lap record on his 12th circulation
- - Jones set out after reigning champion Karl Harris who had pulled a five
second lead on his pursuers. In the remaining laps, Jones was able to close
and reel in the Honda rider and passed the chequered flag just 2.7 seconds
adrift.

"I got a terrible start," said Jones. "But I was able to ride hard and move
to the front of the pack without too much drama. I got a bit tied up coming
past a few other riders which cost me time, but I really enjoyed being able
to push as hard as I did. We knew we had a much stronger package this
season and I'm confident that we'll be winning races very soon. "The
Triumph ValMoto Daytona 600 is fantastic to ride and to be on the podium at
the first round of the season is fantastic and a testament to all the hard
work Triumph, ValMoto and Pirelli have put in so far."

Triumph ValMoto Team Manager Jack Valentine was overjoyed with his young
signing's performance. "Jonesy rode an excellent race," he said. "We knew
that all the hard work we've put in to developing the Triumph ValMoto
Daytona 600 last season and during the winter would pay off. Our times in
testing and practice showed that the bike was as good as - and in many
cases better than - anything else out there and it was just down to the
rider to make the most of it. "We'll still be making improvements as the
season progresses, but that has just proved that we now have a bike capable
of winning championship races."

Que Lastima, Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon"