RE: [ST] Mid-trip report

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
wisbyb@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 12:19 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Mid-trip report

Hi All,
We are 2 weeks into a 3 week trip.  We left Oregon April 16th about 6pm, it
began to rain almost immediately, finally got completely South of the crappy
weather somewhere around Bakersfield the next day.
We wanted to start out going over through Nevada and Utah, but it was
snowing where we wanted to be, so headed South towards Hill Country.
Five days into the trip, we were in Benson AZ, and to make a long story
short, after pulling my rear wheel off the bike in the parking lot of the
motel, discovered that one of the 4 pins had broken off and the holes were
all ovalled (is that a word?) Anyway, we called the Triumph dealer in Tucson
and they basically told us to take a hike. So we called Phoenix Int'l in
Phoenix, Cory told us to come on in. They had me out in 24 hours.
The parts were promised in 24 hours, so they robbed a wheel and pin off an
RS they had on the floor.  I was really impressed with how they helped us in
a crisis, and the owner, Peter, couldn't have been nicer. (Well, I guess he
could have been, I didn't have a beer while I waited) Anyway, so with the
bike fixed, we  continued on to Hill Country in TX, via Presidio, Lajitas,
and Big Bend.  We stayed 3 days in Bandera, and the weather was great. The
day after we left, all hell broke loose there, so I guess we lucked out.
Today we rode from Salina UT over hwy 50 to Ely, then over hwy 6 to Tonopah
NV. It was a rather pleasant road, except for the really long straight
places.
Tomorrow we head for Vegas for 2 days.  I have to win enough to pay for the
new wheel I had to buy in AZ. Incidently, they said what caused the problem
was the rear wheel not being torqued to spec of 146, so it ran loose.
Take care, everyone, and ride safe,
Beckie from Corvallis OR
'01 Sprint ST brg, 37K today

*