RE: [ST] Engine light help!

Here is an email from Dan Wallander that I've kept handy. Very
informative. Before digging too deep, do the 3 warmup-cycles. If its
still on after that, it would be my advice to have a dealer check the
computer for the logged malfunction.

Dan states:

"Here's the deal on the Engine Management Light from the Triumph manual:

I'm paraphrasing here as I really don't want to type the whole thing in:

The on board diagnostics have two levels of fault detection.  The first
raises a flag that something might be wrong and starts a counter.  As
the count continues, if the fault is not confirmed by a 'predetermined
threshold' (which is different for each type of fault detected) nothing
happens and the counter resets itself.  As the count continues, if the
fault continues and is confirmed, the data is logged into the ECM.  If
the fault is emissions related or a serious malfunction afffecting
engine performance, the fault is logged into the ECM and the light on
the instrument cluster is turned on.

Once the warning light is on by a fault being confirmed, the number of
warm-up cycles made by the engine is counted.  If the fault clears, the
light will extinguish after a 'predetermined count' of warm up cycles
occurs.  The manual doesn't mention what this number is, but evidenced
from my own observations and from those on this list, that seems to be
three cycles.

A single warm up cycle is defined as:

The coolant temp must be raised to 72C or more The coolant temp must
have risen by 23C or more from its start temp, when 72C is reached.
A controlled power-down sequence must take place.

So, in order to extinguish the light on the dash, there cannot be a
continued fault that needs to be corrected, such as a faulty sensor, you
must completly warm up the engine and allow it to cool, you must go
through a controlled power-down sequence, which means the engine must be
started and turned off by the key.  I'm assuming they don't want an easy
way to extinguish the light as the engine must be running and close to
operating temperature for the engine management system to determine it
the fault is still there or not, therefore the warm up cycle solution.

While turning the key on and off several times without starting the
engine seems to help kick the computer into the proper alignment at
times and can help 'reboot' the computer, this procedure cannot turn off
the engine management light.  These are two different processes.

As an aside, you should be turning your Triumph off with the Key, not
the Kill Switch (unless it is an emergency) as the bike keeps the main
power on after turning the key off so the computer can write data to the
ECM, reference the position of the idle air control valve stepper motor,
and run the fan if necessary before completely powering down.  This
cannot happen if you use the kill switch first.

Hope that helps.

Dan."

Alan...