[ST] AMA weekend!!

My ride to Barber from Illinois was fantastic.  Uneventful on the way
down, but out of town and away from work without having to get back home
is heaven.  I was totally impressed with the facilities, absolutely no
expense spared in any aspect of the place.  The track has got to be one
of the finest anywhere.  There were places on the track where you could
sit and view the entire race and not have to wait for each lap to see
the riders again.  The museum is unbelievable, I mean really
unbelievable.  400-500 bikes and cars and another 400 that aren't there
yet.  I was also very impressed with the number of Triumphs down south.
Up here in the north they are few and far between even at motorcycle
events, but down there everywhere you looked there was a triumph, even
saw another Orange RS like mine, quite a few ST's and mostly classic
line bikes represented.  Met a few Triumph riders that were great and
even met a Ducati owner who wasn't a stuffy, arrogant bastard, guess
theres a first time for everything.  I had the pleasure to meet a few of
the riders and was impressed with how friendly they are in person.  Got
a new perspective on Mladin who I thought would be a prick.  He was
actually very nice in person and was cussing the security guards for not
letting fans near him so he could talk and sign autographs for them.  I
camped at the park for the entire weekend and got up at sunrise each day
and went to the paddock area and watched the day begin.  It was really
cool to watch everyone including the riders showing up for work and
start out slowly and work the day into a rushed, intense frenzy.  Zemke
was running late for practice, Duhamel had parked his car in the wrong
place and had to run back up to move it and Ben Bostrom just casually
strolled in and wandered around talking to people.  There were two
Daytona 600's racing which was nice to see even though they didn't do
well.  The trip back home was hell left after traffic was done, sometime
around 6:00pm and rode without a map because I accidently threw mine
out.  Got lost at night In Tennessee an Finally got to Owensborough
Kentucky around 2:30am.  So I was up for 22 hours and beat, but still
happy because I didn't really have to be anywhere.    So... all in all
the trip was fantastic and anyone who didn't make it there should make a
point of going....it is an awesome place with southern hospitality!!

Tim Elliott