Re: [ST] I smell Gas

> The fuel gauge sender is the culprit. I pulled the tank and the wires to
> the fuel sender were wet. It looks like it is leaking where the wires go
> into the sender. I assume that this was caused by me placing the tank on
> the ground and the wires getting bent. Seems like a bad design to me.
> Also I think there were problems before as the top part of the
> insulation on the wires has been removed and there was electrical tap
> there.
>
> So other than getting a new sender does anyone have an ideas? Wasn't
> there some kind of recall?

Rupert,
The most recent recall was for just that problem.  The issue then was that
the vender didn't ensure that the sheath over the wires was out of the way
when the potting compound was applied, so the leak developed.  My guess is
your leaking sender is one of the ones which was replaced in '00/01 and
which slipped through the second recall.  I'm amazed it lasted this long!
Suggest you contact your dealer.  My guess is they'll take care of it for
you.
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST