Re: [ST] Torque wrenchs - was I smell Gas

> True, but there are very few mechanics that I've found to be trustworthy
with a motorcycle. I had never had a service done correctly until I started
going to my current dealer. Now that I know a reliable mechanic, I'm
reluctant to ever try anyone else.

Peter,
I totally agree.  My point was not that mechanics don't use torque wrenches,
they do and should where appropriate/necessary.  It's just that in the
service manual just about every bolt has a torque on it, and that is
appropriate too, but for a lot of them, IMO, it isn't totally necessary to
torque them all to a perfect spec.  As an example I will submit that 162
Newton-Meters on the nut holding the ST's rear wheel in place does not have
to be that precise.  Once I hit my max on the torque wrench of about 110 N-M
I just crank in a bit more with my breaker bar so that it reads "pretty
frickin' tight" and with that clip back there it isn't going to back out.

By they way, somebody ought to teach that Rod Brown character to spell, as
Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon." :-)
Rod