Re: [ST] What does the...

Al,

Al Garvin wrote:

>  Andrew Tait wrote:

> > I have just finished a spark plug, filter and oil change and
> > putting everything together I noticed that the pipe running to the
> > fuel tank, called the fuel pump pressure hose (or similar) in the
> > Haynes manual, is really badly perished and has cracked in several
> > places. Obviously it's not going to be pressurising anything!
> >
> > Does anyone know the function (apart from the obvious) of said
> > hose, and the ramifications of it being so damaged?

>  Andrew, Are you refering to the hose that goes to the fuel pressure
>  regulator at the front of the plate, on the tank where the fuel hoses
>  connect?

That's the one.  I runs forward somewhere.  Airbox?  I can't remember,
and it's a bit late for scurrying around the shed.  Especially after a
couple of beers.

>  If so this is a vaccum hose and any auto parts will have a
>  hose that you can subsitute. You just need a hose that will not
>  collapse under vaccum. It needs to be connected to requlate the fuel
>  pressure from the fuel pump. Mine was also cracked and looked a
>  mess, seams like they use poor quality hoses in this spot.

Yeah, it seemed odd to me that a 3 year-old hose would be so cracked
up.  I didn't realise it was a vacuum connection, but I can get a hold
of good quality vacuum tubing from work, and if we don't have any the
right bore I'll try a nice auto parts place as you suggested.

I guess it can't be very critical?  The bike has been running perfectly,
although I had noticed the tickover creeping up a bit when the engine
temp gets a bit hot.  Could be the cause I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.  Any difference in performance will be reported!

Cheers,

Andrew